Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Puree Day!

I made a goal for myself to eat healthier. It is a constant battle!!! Why do the Cadbury eggs on the counter look so much more appetizing than the cauliflower in the fridge?? Why are there Cadbury eggs on the counter in the first place?? Well... I'm going to do better. As a mother and a wife I want to do this for my family so that we are all eating healthier and we get in good lifetime habits. I have a cookbook call Deceptively Delicious. Basically you puree your vegetables and "hide" them in recipes so that you are getting those nutrients you need. I thought I'd give it a shot and see if some of these recipes are truly Delicious AND packed with nutrients. So today I pureed my heart out. I steamed and roasted veggies and then went to town. Now I've got a freezer-full ready to "hide" in tonight's dinner (shh...don't tell Mike).





3 comments:

Sarah Brown said...

You are a champ Stace! I do want to borrow that cookbook for sure. Getting Brigs to eat vegies and even fruit is like pulling teeth sometimes!

Lisa said...

How did it go? I have this book too, but I've only made a few recipes from it. The ones I've made are great! How did you do your purees? You have a food processor, right? I guess I could just use the blender. I hope Tanner finally gets better!

Nikki said...

I love to puree also (totally in the baby food stage of life:)
Anyways, one thing that I have found that has helped a ton is... I freeze my purees in individual sizes. Like... I freeze in silicone cupcake holders (some use ice cube trays *I think they are to small) or if it's thick enough i'll put a several scoop the size of an ice cream scoop on a pan, then freeze overnight, then put all of my little blobs (about 1/4 cup each) in freezer ziplocks. That way its easy to pull just a couple out and you can use them a lot more often.
Hope this hint helps:)